Lack of Foundation = Lack of Discernment
2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; KJV
If I placed a bowl of poison in front of you and said, "Eat this," would you eat it?
Of course not. Why? Because you know that it's poison.
Do you know what the Bible is teaching here?
The Bible is teaching that in the last of the last days, there is going to be such a lack of foundation that people won't know enough of the Word to discern what's good and what's bad.
Therefore, they'll eat anything that's put in front of them.
Anything! One man has translated it: "For a time will come when they will not hold themselves back from bad food."
This conveys the right idea accurately. The word "lusts" describes the condition of their heart.
God will give you the desire of your heart—whether your desire is right or wrong. This word "lusts" is the Greek word "epithumia", which refers to strong, strong desire. So this is not a passing fancy, but a deep-rooted desire.
It describes people who are doubled over with a strong passion. The Bible teaches here that in the last days, people won't want sound doctrine. They will want something "frilly." (Decorated / luxurious)
This will be the cry of their heart: "We want something exciting! Give us something never heard before!"
Now the word “doctrine” in the Greek text is didaskalia , which is a word that simply means “teaching or instruction.”
It’s from this Greek word that we get our English word didactic, meaning “to instruct or teach others.” Both the New American Standard version and the New International Version translate this word “…and is profitable for teaching…” So here’s the point: the Bible is profitable for the purpose of teaching you what God wants you to know. You see, the word “doctrine” simply means “what the Bible teaches,” and if you believe anything the Bible teaches, you are believing Bible doctrine. (http://www.awordfromtheword.org/doctrine)
Today people associate doctrine with dead denominationalism. That's what they think doctrine is. I've heard people say, "Don't give us that doctrine! We had doctrine when we were in our denominational church. We don't want any doctrine. We're not going to be a doctrine church. We're going to be a 'sweet, loving Jesus, Holy Spirit' church. Don't give us that doctrine."
People have a way of saying, "Come on—give me some razzle-dazzle! I've heard this before." Do you know what they really mean? "We don't like foundation. Let's just build the house. We want to go straight to the attic. Would it be O.K. if we ignored this foundation stuff?"
However, if you build a house without a foundation, it will not last very long.
Rick Rennet said, "As I travel the country, there are times when the Lord won't let me flow in the gifts of the Holy Ghost. Do you know why? Because people say, "Don't give us the Word. We want a word of knowledge!" There are times when I've heard the Lord say, "Son, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to do it. Don't ask Me, because I'm not going to. I'm not giving them cake when they haven't even had meat."
Today, ask yourself;
Do I have a foundation?
If not, what am I waiting for?
If I have, how strong is it?
What am I eating?
SHALOM!!!!
2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; KJV
If I placed a bowl of poison in front of you and said, "Eat this," would you eat it?
Of course not. Why? Because you know that it's poison.
Do you know what the Bible is teaching here?
The Bible is teaching that in the last of the last days, there is going to be such a lack of foundation that people won't know enough of the Word to discern what's good and what's bad.
Therefore, they'll eat anything that's put in front of them.
Anything! One man has translated it: "For a time will come when they will not hold themselves back from bad food."
This conveys the right idea accurately. The word "lusts" describes the condition of their heart.
God will give you the desire of your heart—whether your desire is right or wrong. This word "lusts" is the Greek word "epithumia", which refers to strong, strong desire. So this is not a passing fancy, but a deep-rooted desire.
It describes people who are doubled over with a strong passion. The Bible teaches here that in the last days, people won't want sound doctrine. They will want something "frilly." (Decorated / luxurious)
This will be the cry of their heart: "We want something exciting! Give us something never heard before!"
Now the word “doctrine” in the Greek text is didaskalia , which is a word that simply means “teaching or instruction.”
It’s from this Greek word that we get our English word didactic, meaning “to instruct or teach others.” Both the New American Standard version and the New International Version translate this word “…and is profitable for teaching…” So here’s the point: the Bible is profitable for the purpose of teaching you what God wants you to know. You see, the word “doctrine” simply means “what the Bible teaches,” and if you believe anything the Bible teaches, you are believing Bible doctrine. (http://www.awordfromtheword.org/doctrine)
Today people associate doctrine with dead denominationalism. That's what they think doctrine is. I've heard people say, "Don't give us that doctrine! We had doctrine when we were in our denominational church. We don't want any doctrine. We're not going to be a doctrine church. We're going to be a 'sweet, loving Jesus, Holy Spirit' church. Don't give us that doctrine."
People have a way of saying, "Come on—give me some razzle-dazzle! I've heard this before." Do you know what they really mean? "We don't like foundation. Let's just build the house. We want to go straight to the attic. Would it be O.K. if we ignored this foundation stuff?"
However, if you build a house without a foundation, it will not last very long.
Rick Rennet said, "As I travel the country, there are times when the Lord won't let me flow in the gifts of the Holy Ghost. Do you know why? Because people say, "Don't give us the Word. We want a word of knowledge!" There are times when I've heard the Lord say, "Son, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to do it. Don't ask Me, because I'm not going to. I'm not giving them cake when they haven't even had meat."
Today, ask yourself;
Do I have a foundation?
If not, what am I waiting for?
If I have, how strong is it?
What am I eating?
SHALOM!!!!
Comments
Post a Comment